News & Events
This Week in IDEA | October 20, 2011
A Practical Guide to Data Syndication in the BIM Environment
Part of the buzz around the 2011 E-Biz Forum was the relevancy of the topics and quality of sessions offered. “A Practical Guide to Data Syndication in the BIM Environment” session presented by Angela Baraks of DATAgility and Marty Brett of Wheatland Tube introduced attendees to principal concepts and key stakeholders in the Building Information Modeling (BIM) arena. Jim Lucy, Chief Editor of Electrical Wholesaling magazine discusses how BIM is crucial to sales because of its potential to distribute information that could influence whether a manufacturer’s brand is chosen for construction projects.
NEMA selected DATAgility, the leading provider of data management services and solutions to develop the guide for manufacturers to build BIM templates for the electrical industry. These templates will allow manufacturers to have their product data published in a standardized format within the BIM application software systems. Attendees were given an overview of the process needed for data collection and an outline of how to successfully populate their product information within the BIM templates.
- The Construction Industry Institute estimates there is up to 57% non-value-added effort and waste in current business models. Industries may waste up to $600 billion each year.
- According to Carnegie Mellon University Research, an improvement of just 3.8% in productivity of building functions would totally pay for a facility’s design, construction, operations and sustainment through increased efficiency.
- The BIM Template Toolkit contains guides, spreadsheets, and tutorials that manufacturers can reference when populating the BIM templates.
- BIM applications focus on saving resources (dollars, time and materials) during each phase of the facility life cycle.
Call to Action:
- Increased product specification early in the BIM process means increased sales opportunities for manufacturers.
- If your company is interested in growing sales in this vertical, contact Angela Baraks at DATAgility.
The PowerPoint presentation from the session is now available on .